English to German editor (in-house remote)
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a talented German linguist to join our team as proofreader/editor. Working as a part of a team of professional linguists, you will be responsible for carefully proofreading and editing a wide variety of texts, predominantly in the field of marketing and IT. Excellent knowledge of German spelling and grammar rules, an eye for detail and a solid writing style are essential for this role, which would be suitable for translation graduates, as well as experienced translators, editors or writers.
What are the minimum requirements?
- Native speaker of German (Germany, Austria, Switzerland)
- Excellent oral and written English language skills
- A Bachelor or Master’s degree in translation studies, linguistics, modern languages or related discipline
- Ability to work remotely
What are the perks?
- Work as part of a passionate team of in-house and freelance linguists
- Work from anywhere (all time zones)
- Regular daily workload with hours to suit your lifestyle
- Paid monthly
- Job title: German editor (in-house remote)
- Location: Home-based/Remote
- Payment: Hourly rate, depending on experience
- Employment type: Freelancer contract, full-time or part-time
- Duration: 6-month contract, renewable on a rolling basis
- Working hours: Part-time with flexible working hours
- Start date: Immediate
What kind of work is it?
First and foremost, you would be editing the translations of your translation colleagues. Other tasks might include updating translation memories, compiling glossaries, evaluating translations and providing feedback to translators on their work. Occasionally, we might also ask you to help out other colleagues with their tasks.
Frequently asked questions
What is our ideal candidate like?
Our ideal candidate shares our passion for languages and culture, and our commitment to delivering high-quality translations to our customers.
We are looking for editors who can write beautifully, who have the ability to carefully read through material and ensure that it sounds natural, while retaining the main message of the source text. A flair for creative translation is a definite plus.
Other personal qualities we appreciate include a positive attitude towards work, the ability to adapt quickly, and a general thirst to learn new things.
Whether you are just starting out as an editor or have years of experience, we will provide onboarding and training when you start in your role, so that you are equipped to do your best work.
Why work for AJT?
We are a UK-based translation company with a strong focus on collaboration and teamwork. If you love being a freelancer but also love the idea of working as part of a team of passionate language lovers, then this could be the ideal role for you. Working from home (or on your travels), either full-time or part-time, with hours to suit your lifestyle.
How do I apply and what is the application process?
If you would like to apply, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote JOBDE2020 in the subject line of your email.
If you are eligible for the role, the first step in the application process is an editing test. If your test meets our minimum quality criteria, you will then be invited for an interview which will be held via video call.